Sherborne Town CC 282-7 (T. Minchin 3-49, A Nurton 2-31).Pilgrims 287-4 (F. Taylor 106 not out, C.Carline 51 not out).Won by 6 wickets.

Having celebrated the first night of the week and our success in the T20 tournament very hard, it was an exceptionally tender Sherborne Pilgrims side that, having lost the toss, took to the field to face Sherborne Town CC in their annual (‘Weekly’) 40-40 fixture. Apart from Andrew Nurton (2-31, eight overs), who took two wickets in his opening spell, we did not start well, allowing the Town to score freely with both sloppy bowling and fielding. It did not help that Tom Minchin, so effective with the ball throughout the previous day’s cricket, was at Yeovil A&E with a suspected (and later confirmed) broken finger. Jono Franke, standing in his place with the new ball, epitomised our sloppy start by going for 53 off his four overs. The Town were heavily on top, having already scored 200 off less than thirty overs, when Fergus Taylor finally forced a breakthrough by having Jamieson caught on 40 and then the following ball bowling Monk, their opening batsman, who had amassed 110 runs, with a well-placed and sharp-turning googly. It was also around this point in time that Tom Minchin returned from A&E and, despite his finger being in a cast, managed to take 3-49, thus enabling the Pilgrims to finish strongly and ‘restricting’ the Town to 282-7 from their forty overs.

Chasing 283 in forty overs on The Upper is no easy task, but we knew that, if were able to keep up with the run rate whilst not losing too many wickets before the 20 over mark then we had a chance. Unfortunately, we did not get off to the best of starts with the out of nick Elliot Whiting getting cleaned up second ball for 0. Pete Langly-Smith, Whiting’s opening partner, fought back with a well-struck 45 before nicking off. Following the departure of both debutant Ollie Clifford for 15 and Charlie Esson for 32, Fergus Taylor and Charlie Carline were at the crease with the Pilgrims at 113-4 requiring 170 runs to win from 22 overs. From this point forth we began to slowly get ourselves back in the game. Taylor and Carline carefully began to build a partnership, knocking the good balls around, running hard, and hitting the bad balls to the fence. Having constructed a solid foundation, both players then moved through the gears playing with increased aggression and expansiveness, ultimately  getting the Pilgrims over the line in the thirty-sixth over: Taylor finished with an unbeaten 106 and Carline with 51 not out. We were probably only ahead in the game for the last 10 overs of their batting innings, having bowled and fielded so poorly, and, therefore, certainly counted ourselves somewhat fortunate to have wracked up another victory. That said, it was a great chase and the match was thoroughly enjoyed by all involved.